martes, 24 de junio de 2008

World's Deepest Swimming Hole

Ahh, at last, we're still motoring! At this rate we'll run out of diesel by the half way mark. Haven't felt a puff of wind in more than a full day in spite of the most recent forecast which said we should be sailing by now. Instead the Pacific continues to live up to its name, and today served as the world's largest, deepest swimming hole. I passed the day reading and making water to top off our tank, and by 1300 the watermaker was filling the tanks and there were still no signs of wind so with the heat of the day nearing its peak we slowed "Avventura" to a stop, shut down the engine, and went for a swim. I was first to dive in, and opening my eyes under water I began following a shaft of sunlight down into the deep blue abyss before realizing the sea floor was over a mile down. Thus I turned, took a look at the red underside of the boat making a beautiful contrast to the clearest, cleanest, bluest water I've ever swam in, and returned to the surface. We spent the better part of an hour horsing around, showering, and taking pictures of the boat adrift in the Pacific, knowing we were joining a tiny group of people who have ever gone for a swim more than 1000 miles from the nearest land. By 1400 the drone of the engine had returned with a vengeance and we were back in search of some wind (still to no avail as of now). The day has been all quiet on the fishing front, perhaps because we still have a few fillets of dorado in the refrigerator from yesterday morning's seven pounder, and perhaps because today's allotment of trash has all been small pieces of plastic, small clumps of fishing rope, and plastic bottles. Last night was a different story. Just after sunset I spotted a three foot square piece of wood floating on the surface, its underside covered in marine growth. I pointed it out as the latest "trash paddy" (knowing the value of a kelp paddy off the coast of San Diego when it comes to fishing) and then watched as a dorado came streaking out from its vicinity, fin piercing the water, making a b-line for our jigs. He hit the "Mexican flag" lure (my personal favorite), only to shake himself free moments later when I refused to slow down for the catch. It was the first time I've ever watched as a fish hit a jig, and must say it was interesting to watch, and after seeing the dorado stalk its fake prey so fiercely I was almost glad to see him swim off (besides my bed time was approaching and the last thing I wanted was to end the day smelling fishy). Besides we've been eating heaps of dodo and I'm ready for a change of pace, even though last night's tacos were again delicious. In the calm seas my crew have taken over the galley (perhaps to save themselves from my mysterious concoctions), and I'm left reaping the rewards. Now back to motoring...whoppee!

June 24-1700
34.54N by 152.22W
1750NM from San Diego, yet oh so much further away.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No hay comentarios: