sábado, 21 de junio de 2008

My Trades, My Trades, Why Hast Thou Foresaken Me?

After spending a full 18 months sailing amongst the tradewinds of the south and north pacific I've reached the "Horse Latitudes" and the ever-predictable easterlies have failed me. In their place sits a high pressure system gobbling up any and all traces of wind and sunshine and leaving a thick overcast sky and calm seas. Avventura's motor drones on in search of brighter pastures and a steady breeze, ticking off the miles northward while hoping the high continues moving east allowing southerly winds to fill in its wake. Thus begins phase two of the trek home: the search for the westerlies.
Yesterday was spent putting to use whatever breeze came our way. As Thursday gave way to Friday the wind died down and began shifting north and all day we steadily lost the precious miles of easting we had gained in the first days out of Hawaii. Struggling to make as much northing as possible while waiting for a wind shift that was forecast both by NOAA and myself, we faded west at an alarming rate, waiting for the high pressure to move eastward. Finally around sunset we entered a thick bank of cirrus clouds and the wind began shifting back into the northeast and eventually dying. By 0040 this morning I was so tired of hand steering in the fickle light airs and making just two knots that I fired up the engine and we have been motorsailing ever since. One nice thing about the lack of wind has been the accompanying lack of motion, which has allowed everyone on board to get some much-needed sleep. I caught over three hours last night, broken up into my typical thirty minute segments when I'd wake and jump up to see what had disturbed me. I'm still a bit behind on sleep, but the few hours has bought me some time and left me feeling rejuvenated and ready to face the dreary June gloom of the mid Pacific. At some point today we should pass the latitude of San Diego, so wave as we sail by some 1800 miles offshore and begin thinking good thoughts for the high to move on leaving us with southerly breezes to carry us up into the westerlies. No fish yesterday for the first time in three days. Perhaps the jumbo tuna has warned his brethren about us fish-slayers. I must say yesterday I didn't mind, however, because it was chili night for the first time in over a year for me and with the nights turning cold it was a comforting meal to be had.

Now back to being on watch and waiting for the wind.
June 21-0850. 31.04N by 157.07W

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No hay comentarios: