lunes, 23 de junio de 2008

The Hunt for the Westerlies

Day 9 is now beginning and we are under sail with a light NW wind for just the second time in two and a half days. A light rain is falling as what I believe is the tail end of a cold front sweeps past us. Whatever the cause, if it brings wind I'm all for it. After a full 40 hours of nonstop motoring we finally picked up a slight west wind yesterday afternoon and I was quick to set sail and shut down the motor, though it meant making just three knots. I was hopeful the wind would continue to pick up, but much to my chagrin it did the opposite, and by 1900 (after a dinner of dorado leftover from Saturday--one of the perks of motoring is refrigeration) the sails were in and the motor was on once more for a night of good sleep and costly miles as the precious diesel burned. That brings me to 0500 when I was woken from a sound sleep by the ratcheting of a winch. I leapt into the cockpit and was thrilled to feel a breeze on my face and my dad rolling out the jib. In three minutes we were sailing faster than we can motor and the engine was shut down. Moments later the rain began to fall. The problem is when something comes up this suddenly it usually doesn't last very long and as I type the breeze is already beginning to falter, so I better send this in hopes I am just jinxing things.

June 23-0550
33.36N by 155.01W

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

http://www.sailmail.com

No hay comentarios: